top of page

Syracuse Drops Fifth Straight Game 4-1 In Delaware

Updated: Nov 4, 2019

By: Isabella Apple

Syracuse, N.Y. -- The Syracuse Orange (1-5-1) lost 4-1 in the second game against the University of Delaware Blue Hens (7-6-0) in Newark, Delaware, this weekend. Although the game felt close the whole time, Delaware’s second goal in the middle of the game would stand as the game-winner.

The Blue Hens pressed Syracuse goaltender Eric Parker early and often throughout the first period and drew a tripping penalty from defenseman Ford Hatchett just five minutes in. Although timely clears by the Orange penalty killers kept Delaware off the board, the Blue Hens got the icebreaker with six minutes remaining in the first frame.

After Delaware buried a rebound through traffic, the Orange went to the locker room down 1-0 after 20 minutes of play.

The Orange found themselves in a bit of penalty trouble in the second period, with captain Peter-Owen Hayward getting called for roughing 7 minutes into the second period. Again a persistent puck pursuit by Syracuse’s penalty killers helped the Orange kill the two-minute minor and gain some momentum. The Blue Hens rush helped momentum swing back their way when they buried another goal with 7 minutes remaining in the middle frame.

Syracuse wouldn’t go down easy, however, pulling back within one goal with a laser shot from the left point by forward Colin Morrow, his first goal of the young season.

Morrow credits teammate Chris Brunner-Grande’s pass as he left the bench to get the Orange on the board.

“I had just gotten off the bench and saw that all of their guys were facing the puck, so I just tried to get open. Brunner made a great pass and I just one-timed it and hoped it would find an opening. It’s always nice to get the first one,” said the junior forward.

Syracuse continued to press for the remaining four minutes of the period and was able to draw a penalty with just seconds remaining.

Although trailing 2-1, the Orange left the ice for the second intermission with some momentum behind them and almost a full power-play to work with in the final 20 minutes.

Syracuse began the third peppering Delaware’s goaltender from all over the ice but was unable to break the netminder. Timely saves in the defensive zone created quality chances on offense for the Blue Hens, as they pressed and eventually scored to reclaim their two-goal lead.

Syracuse would not score again as their penalty woes continued. With the energy behind the Orange again, forward Connor Peston took an offensive zone penalty with just over four minutes remaining in the game. Already a man down, Ford Hatchet was called for slashing after the whistle was blown.

Delaware would not be denied on the 5-on-3, netting a beautiful tic-tac-toe power-play goal with under three minutes left to put the final nail in Syracuse’s coffin.

Despite the losing streak, rookie defenseman Mackenzie Murphy feels like coming home can give the Orange the boost they need to get back in the win column.

“I think it will help with our preparation and focus. A lot goes into an away game with the travel, pre-game meal, and staying in a hotel. It will be nice to be able to go about our daily routine and finally skate at [home]." Said Murphy.

The Orange will finally get to raise their 2018-19 ESCHL Championship Banner at Tennity Ice Pavilion next weekend when they battle Drexel on Friday, November 8th at 6:30 for Alumni weekend.

Contact me:

By email:

On Twitter: @isabella_skye23

78 views0 comments


bottom of page