• Owen Sienko

No. 10 Stony Brook Throttles Syracuse 6-1

STONY BROOK, N.Y. -- The No. 10 Stony Brook Seawolves (16-9-1) swept their series with the Syracuse Orange (11-13-3) with a 6-1 win on Sunday. The game was Syracuse’s last road game before returning to Tennity Ice Pavilion for the final four games of their season.

The Seawolves’ backcheck kept the Syracuse offense quiet while a well-rounded offense netted six straight goals. The penalty kill was a bright spot for the Orange, stifling all seven Stony Brook power plays.

Stony Brook took the reins in the first period with four unanswered goals, and they did not let go for the rest of the game.

The first, tone-setting goal came courtesy of Joey Slevin just 4:49 into the game. Then, the Seawolves turned on the jets in the last quarter of the period, stunning the Orange with three goals separated by just 1:30.

With 5:31 on the clock, forward Michael Galinski deflected a Mike Kowicki point shot into the net. Then, 29 seconds later, forward Dustin Rinaldo capitalized on a three-on-one rush with a one-timer at Parker’s doorstep. Finally, about a minute later, defenseman Robert Distefano slammed in a slap shot from the slot to build a 4-0 lead heading into the first intermission.

To start the second period, freshman Nik Manousos took Parker’s place in net for the second time in the series. He provided more stability in the crease, turning aside 13 of 14 shots in his first 20 minutes of time on ice.

Manousos said he was level-headed and ready to jump into the game when Head Coach Connor Treacy gave him the nod.

“I was grateful for the opportunity and just wanted to do whatever I could to put the team in a good spot for the remainder of the game,” Manousos said.

His play certainly reflected that sentiment. Neutral zone sparring scattered the first half of the second period, but Manousos was solid when shots did seep through the cracks.

Halfway through the second period, Stony Brook’s Devin Pepe crashed the net to jam in a rebound, but the puck just danced on the goal line. Forward Kyle DePalma protested the no-goal call, earning himself a ten-minute misconduct.

Stony Brook put the controversial call behind them just 30 seconds later when forward Keith O’Brien tapped in a one-timer at the side of the net to extend the lead to 5-0.

The Seawolves were buzzing throughout the second half of the period, but Manousos was up for the challenge. Syracuse headed back into the locker room with a five-goal deficit to make up.

After allowing an early goal in the third period, Manousos kept up his strong play and locked down the net.

Less than five minutes into the final frame, Stony Brook defenseman Mike Kowicki snuck a slap shot past Manousos’ blocker from the top of the left faceoff circle.

Syracuse finally solved the Seawolves’ defense just 46 seconds later, when senior captains Matt Jacobs and Peter-Owen Hayward combined for a power-play goal.

Hayward’s marker stood as the final goal of the game, and the Orange left Long Island empty handed. Sunday’s win advances the Seawolves to third place in the ESCHL standings, while Syracuse sits anchored in fifth by a ten-point margin.

Manousos said the key to finding success for the rest of the season is leaving the weekend in Long Island in the past.

“I think this weekend we just couldn’t get our feet under us and didn’t have our best showing,” Manousos said. “Right now we’re excited to head back to Tennity to close out the regular season.”

The Orange will return home to Tennity Ice Pavilion next weekend to take on the Niagara Purple Eagles. The first game of the weekend series will be held on Friday, February 21, at 6:30 p.m. in the Tennity Ice Pavilion.

Contact Me:

By Email: oasienko@syr.edu

On Twitter: @OsienkO

31 views0 comments